Although the announcement of the Surface Pro 3 made the future of computing a heck of a lot more interesting, there was no replacement for the Surface
Regardless of the announced (or lack of) a successor, the existing Surface- models got a significant update in the patch tuesday 10th of June 2014.
Even though the Windows RT operating system lacks the support for traditional x86 (traditional Windows applications), the device is still a popular unit with its included Office- pack at purchase and smooth User experience.
The updates for the Surface 2 is:
- Surface 2 UEFI (v4.21.500.0) update enhances overall system stability, including boot and reboot scenarios, compatibility with Surface Power Cover, and increased battery life when Surface 2 is not in use.
- System Aggregator Firmware (v1.0.50500.0) update enhances the charging behavior of the Power Cover.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.595.0) update improves battery life when using the Power Cover with Surface 2.
- Surface Platform Power Driver (v2.0.557.0) update improves battery life when used with the Surface Power Cover.
- Audio Driver Set (v 22.214.171.12419) and Display Driver Set (v 126.96.36.19918). This update provides enhanced support for external displays, improves the Miracast experience, and enhances the overall system stability while reducing power consumption in many scenarios.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.583.0) update enhances the experience when using a Surface Cover.
In addition to the updates listed above, an additional update for Surface 2 4G LTE is listed below:
- Wireless Network Controller (v14.62.28061.10179) and Bluetooth (v14.62.28061.10179) update simplifies and improves tethering for Surface 2 4G LTE.
Surface Pro 2
For the traditional users and laptop- replacer there is an improvement in both the performance during usage of Miracast and some of the MicroSD- card issues have been resolved.
Most welcome is the UEFI update making a support for PXE boot with the new Surface Ethernet Adapter.
The updates for the Surface Pro 2 is:
- Surface Pro UEFI (v2.4.950.0) and Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v188.8.131.52) updates enhance system stability with microSD products, improves compatibility with Power Cover, and increases the reliability of sleep state transitions. S
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.4.350.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.287.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.288.0) improves reliability when the Power Cover is attached to Surface and folded behind Surface.
- HD Graphics Family (v10.18.10.3496) update improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability.